Monday, June 11, 2012

In response to an article:

Here's the article:

http://blogs.timesofindia.indiatimes.com/extraordinaryissue/entry/why-i-love-mumbai

Here's the response:

And yet we manage to smile. We laugh and goof around within the (rather unjust) limits set around us. We bend the rules. We break the rules. We have fun. We march on grooving to the music that plays in our heads, maybe right towards our doom, but we march nevertheless.
What do you expect us to do anyway? The few of us that struggle to breathe are outcasts in this "Modern" India where "Chalta Hai" is our new national motto. We could vote. If we could get our Voter ID cards. I didn't. After applying twice I didn't. Say we had our voter ID cards. Say we went up to the poll booth on election day. Who would we vote for? picking between the two 'National' parties is just a matter of picking the lesser evil. Independent candidates rarely win (remember Meera Sanyal?) and getting into politics is something I'd never do. And no matter what my reasons are I'm sure I'll be pointed at and told that I'm a coward. A disloyal Indian, complaining but not acting.
But wait. I'm not. I'm not complaining. I do my bit, Where I can. When I can. I'm happy. For all I can do is keep myself happy in these dark times and hope for the best. Hope that someday, someone will lead us to the light.

Regards, Mehta.

2 comments:

  1. I like the way you think, Mehta! As an American born Indian I would like to think that the Mumbai I return to every year has not been so jaded that the amount you pay in taxes outweighs the moments of fun and the good friends that you can only find in India and no where else. For the record, taxes are high here as well, and smoking is banned just about everywhere here.... I am thankful for the second part. Although there aren't all of the problems here as there are there, each city/country has its own pluses and minuses... Keep positive thoughts alive ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad there are others out there that still like looking for that ray of sunshine in the middle of a cold dark room. I realised at some point that I'd rather make sure that the people around me and I are happy rather than go around constantly pointing out flaws and making everybody feel like shit. :)

    Thanks for the read. Much thanks for the comment.

    -Mehta. :)

    ReplyDelete