Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Friends


I had two thoughts today that I thought I should mention before they're lost in the sea of memories in my brain.

I was wondering what makes a friend, i.e, what differentiates an acquaintance or a fellow traveller from a friend. And I really couldn't put my finger on it. Sometimes when I think of the topic I tend to feel a little betrayed by my friends. A voice inside me says that they're never really there for me when I need them. 

"Too many phone calls made in vain?" I ask.

"Too many times when they didn't know what to say" It replies.
 
But I disagree. My friends are wonderful people and I am, in every sense of the word, Blessed to know them and be able to walk alongside them in this path that is life. They're good at heart and wish me well. What more can I want? 

"Nothing" says a part of me.

"The right words at the right time." says another. 

"Sometimes the smallest things are the most ridiculous to ask for." I tell myself and end the debate. I was looking for answers to some questions the other day and I came to a conclusion. It's nice and easy and quick. If your friends do some of the things wikipedia says they should do, they're your friends. Here's the list:


  • The tendency to desire what is best for the other
  • Sympathy and empathy
  • Honesty, perhaps in situations where it may be difficult for others to speak the truth, especially in terms of pointing out the perceived faults of one's counterpart
  • Mutual understanding and compassion; ability to go to each other for emotional support
  • Enjoyment of each other's company
  • Trust in one another
  • Positive reciprocity — a relationship is based on equal give and take between the two parties.
  • The ability to be oneself, express one's feelings and make mistakes without fear of judgement.
  • It is very important to have honesty, trust, sympathy, respect and helpfulness in friendship


Wikipedia makes me happy.


No comments:

Post a Comment